It is desirable for those intending to visit Makkah to do the following:
1. To take a bath. It is reported that Ibn ‘Umar used to take a bath before entering Makkah.
2. To spend the night at Zhi Tuwa, a valley in the direction of Al-Zaher. The Prophet (peace be upon him) used to spend the night there. Nafi’ said: “Ibn ‘Umar used to do the same.” (Reported by Bukhari and Muslim)
3. To enter Makkah from the upper hill called “Koda”. The Prophet (peace be upon him) entered Makkah from the direction of Al-Mu’allah. Whoever is able to follow this path, should do so, but one commits no sin if one does not do it.
4. To hurry to the Sacred Mosque as soon as one deposits one’s belongings in a safe place. One must enter the Sacred Mosque from the gate known as Bab Bani Shayba – Bab us-Salam – and say humbly and sincerely: “A’uzhu billahil azeem wa biwajihil kareem wa sultanihil qadeem, minash shaltanir rajeem. Bismillah allahumma salli ‘ala muhammadin wa alihi wa salam, Allahumma ghifirli zunubi waftah li abwaba rahmatika (I seek refuge with Allah the Supreme, I seek refuge with His Honor and Eternal Glory, with His Everlasting Authority, from the cursed devil. O Allah, Bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad! O Allah! Forgive my sins and open Your doors of mercy for me).”
5. To raise one’s hands on first sight of the Ka’bah and say: “Allahumma zid hazhal bayti tashrifan wa ta ‘zeeman wa takriman wa muhabatan wa zid min sharfihi wa karamihi mimman hajjahu au ‘itamarahu tashrifan wa takriman wa ta’zeeman wa birran (O Allah! increase this House’s honour, dignity, respect and grant all those who come to it for Hajj or ‘Umrah honour, dignity, respect and righteousness.)” And say, “Allahumma antas salam, wa minkas salam, fahayyina rabbana bis-salam (O Allah! You are the Peace, from You is the Peace. O Allah! Greet us with the Peace).”
6. Then head to the Black Stone and kiss it quietly. If kissing is not possible, then one may touch it with a hand and kiss the hand, and if even this is not possible then one may just point to it with a hand.
7. Then begin tawaf (circumambulation) starting from the Black Stone.
8. One does not have to perform salutation prayer to the Sacred Mosque. because tawafof Ka’bah is its salutation. If, however, it is time for the prescribed daily prayers, then one must offer them with the congregation. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “When a prescribed prayer is in progress then no other prayer except the prescribed prayer is valid.” Similarly, if one is afraid to miss a prescribed prayer then one must offer it first before anything else.