It quotes sayings as well as the practices according to the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (SAW) as observed by Muslims in Medina. Although Imam Malik wrote many treatises dealing with religion and ethics, Kitab-al-Muwatta is acknowledged as the most important among his writings.
It is said that Imam Malik had originally recorded ten thousand ahadith in this book(s), but in a revised edition the Imam reduced the number to only one hundred and seventy-two. Imam Maliks literary works as stated by Qaazi Ayaadh are as follows :
- Kitaabul Mu'atta.
- Risaalatu Maalik Ilaa Ibn Wahab Fil Qadr.
- Al-Mudawwanatul Kubraa.
- Risaalatu Maalik Fil Aq'dhiyah.
- Risaalatu Maalik Ilaa Gassaan Ibn Muhammad Ibn Mutarrif Fil Fatwaa.
- Risaalatu Maalik Ilaa Haaroonir Rasheed Al' Mash' hooratu Fil Aadaabi Wal.
- Tafseeru Ghareebil Qur'an.
- Kitaabus Sirr.
- Risaalatu Maalik Ilaa Layth Fi Ijmaa'i Ahlil Madinah.