Imam Malik was a Tabe' Taabi'ee. hence, he acquired a great amount of knowledge from Taabi'een. The following is a list of his characteristics.
- He was very cautious in procuring fatawaa;
- He was very active within the conduct of Sunnah;
- He loathed innovations (bidaah);
- Matters of belief (aqaaid) were very religiously followed by way of Qur'an and sunnah;
- Although during his era there were many sects that arose, yet Imam Malik refrained from enjoining with these;
- When the Holy Prophet (SAW) was mentioned, the colour of his face would change;
- He never recited a hadith without ablution.